Monday, July 14, 2008

Cut-Throat World of...Car Sales?

I have learned something as I have spent the past week avidly looking for a new car. The world of car sales is cut-throat (apparently, I am the only one in the free-world that didn't know this)! Let me give you a couple of examples. But, first I want to preface the following "mean-ness" by saying that after realizing that all the viable used cars were within a couple thousand of their new counterparts, I decided to get a new, new car (pretty exciting, huh?!). Plus, I will get the full warranty, which will help as I will likely be paying on my car for a period longer than most marriages last.

Let me begin at the dealership of my onetime front-runner. The salesman (we'll call him Mr. Odd) that previously helped us was at lunch, so another guy (Mr. Cute) was letting my sister and I look over the car when Mr. Odd walked up and threw Mr. Cute a "look" that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. Trying to smooth things over (and inevitably making things worse) I told Mr. Odd that Mr. Cute was super helpful and had been helping us while he had been at lunch. Needless to say, while Mr. Odd kept throwing "the look" at Mr. Cute, my sister and I excused ourselves and left, slightly afraid for Mr. Cute.

However, this next example takes the cake. As my Dad and I were leaving the office of a salesman (we'll call him Mr. Caesar), another salesman (Mr. Brutus...and in all fairness, my Dad knew him, but still...) leaned over and whispered in our ear that if I decided to get the car, to drop Mr. Caesar because, he "could get us a better deal". Now, on the surface that helps me. However, geez, can you imagine having to work next to that guy? I'd be walking around him backwards so I could see exactly what he had in his hands. Wish me luck on my continuing journey of finding a car before July 24th.

Peace!

No comments: